Monday, April 6, 2009

the anarcho-punk way





(cup by Gary Rith)
In 1986 I had a sucky job. The owner was a dragon, but everybody else was nice. Like Ray who would hide with me in the back work room where you could pretend you were working, and gossip about the dragon. Or Julie, who worked in the office and was very sweet to me and mixed cinnamon into the cheap-ass coffee the dragon bought, so it was drinkable. Or Allegra who was tall and Cuban and hawt and wore high heels. She was nice to me too.
Don't mean to complain too much, but the pay was low, I was lazy, and the lady had me washing windows and vacuuming the floor. I don't mind doing those things, of course, but I hadn't signed on for it. I had signed on for a glamorous job doing_____ and ended up, as I say, cleaning the joint. I wasn't fired, because I was outwardly cheerful and helpful, of course, but it was time to go. And as they say in the movie Office Space: "I stole something". I was very bad. But I can come clean 'cause the statute of limitations are over.
Back to the coffee: amongst the mugs by the cheap-ass coffee was a gorgeous handmade mug that had been left behind by the last assistant who quit when they had realized that the glamorous job I would later fill was all about scrubbing the floors and windows. It was painted with a blue underglaze and had neato underglaze decorations. It was bright, it was colorful, it was wonderful, and it left with me (and kept me happy until it died one day). I remember it clearly, and have wanted to make it ever since.
I think I have figured out how. I was fiddling with this cup, and I bet when I make 2 more tomorrow I really nail it, what I want to do in making that idea my own, but this is a good first step!

9 comments:

Dr.John said...

However you came up with the design I like the mug.

Di Mackey said...

Beautiful, as always, and I love the dog on the bottom.

You weren't stealing. You were taking in a stray, an orphan ... that thing left behind.

Gary said...

I like the story. I like the mug too. And I had my own dragon, when I was the stockboy for the Cosmetics and Candy Department in Towers Department Store. I stole candy all the time and didn't squeel on tweenies lifting the odd lipstick either. She deserved it. (Don't tell her though, I'm still afraid.)

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Shhhhh...nobody tell. Don't say anything or else we shall be accomplices. Don't worry, Gary, your story is safe with us....


FYI, I apoxy glued my mug back together (but I couldn't fix the crack.... This morning I tried hot coffee in it after letting it cure for 36 hours. *sigh-sadly*

I think it will be a shelf decor from here on out. :-(

Good think I know a great potter who sent me a spare. :-)

red dirt mule said...

i'm loving the new look - header AND mug. blue dog!! next you'll be trying your hand at red mules !!

snickers,
xxx
rdm

ps. is that a cool 'tat on your bicep? hawt ...

Susan as Herself said...

When I worked at restaurants and at Starbucks I would give free food and coffee to all my friends. it's a wonder any of those places stayed in business. :)

Emily SIL said...

I once had a friend who worked in a bakery and every so often she'd treat me to something, yet I think that was her generousity, not a nasty boss.

You could have an entire blog dedicated to bad bosses, rotten jobs and the employees who sabotage them. Thanks for sharing.

Linda Starr said...

I don't think I could have resisted that mug either, it really has a lot of personality like yours do.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I am by nature honest and don't take things. But that particular orphan mug was asking for its freedom.