Wednesday, April 15, 2009

its not the size that counts, its how you use it




(backwards order---full kiln, me and a pair of big pots, the first big pot I have ever made, on top)
I was thinking last week: "let's stretch a bit, how big can I make something???". Pretty big, for me. These pots were just shy of 2 feet tall before firing (they shrink with drying and firing, as much as 10-15 percent, but still tall). At every stage with this first big one I nervously watched for cracks, tried not to knock it over, hoped it didn't blow up in the first firing, carefully glazed it all the while thinking "I may blow it, then I'll just make another". I used my shiny slate blue glaze on top and the shiny dark cobalt blue on bottom because the 2 glazes meet up and GO WILD in the middle, as you see. So, it was in the kiln cooling and I was like "I sure hope there is no flaw or crack on this thing, lets take out everything else first (my biggest kiln is pretty big, although many potters have much bigger kilns, this took up half the available space in the kiln, coming all the way up to the top of the kiln, just barely fitting).
So I decided to make another big pot so I wouldn't feel bad if the first blew, but it doesn't. Its perfect. Now I have two! And I shall make more...

17 comments:

Gordo said...

Wonderful!

cookingwithgas said...

Amen! You need to make more and then the ones you are firing will not be lonely- fill it up - they look great!

Anonymous said...

hey... it looks great, watch out for the big pots now

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you "made" some friends!

Lynda said...

I love when it goes "wild" in the middle! That BIG pot is beautiful!

Jerry said...

The finished biggun looks great, but I think the new biggun looks better!

Linda Starr said...

Go hog (oops) wild, make a whole kiln full of big ones. Very beautiful pot and I love the over lapped glazes.

Just Me said...

Very nice. Wonderful work as usual.

Jason, as himself said...

Another alluring title, with pottery content.

Not that I don't love pottery. I do. Especially yours.

But still.

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

GRAND!

fiwa said...

I love that yummy blue glaze.

Reb said...

Wonderful the way the glazes go wild in the middle. I can' wait to see the new one glazed.

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS! You should hear my heart fluttering just looking at it. That is truly a WORK OF ART, Gary. And, VERY elegant, as well. And by the look on your face in the photo, I'd take it you are pleased with it, too. And now I find myself wishing I lived in marble halls where it would be on a pedestal and shine!!!

Amy said...

gosh, they're both huge! And you said bottles were hard to make.... :)

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

The blues on that vase are beautiful!! How wonderful! That won't stay on the shelf long! ;-)

soubriquet said...

Gary! That's a really really great vase. I see what you mean about it being close to the max for the kiln though. It's an elegant piece, worth all the care that went into it.
Yep, a piece to be rightly proud of.

soubriquet said...

And: I like the new one's looks even better, I like that spiraled neck,and the fuller, more curvaceous form.
Any chance of that deep, rich red?