Monday, April 20, 2009

the trivia of the day




(pots by Gary Rith being glazed and the glaze dungeon)
I have said it before: the trapdoor in my beautiful studio leads to a dungeon, where I store clay and glaze supplies and mix glazes (trying not to mix glazes very often because it isn't fun). It is a walkout basement, and I desperately need to fill my glaze buckets. But it is an inside-outside thing, because I wash the buckets out back with the hose. It was sunny and 68 all weekend and I didn't get around to it and today is windy rainy and 30s, yuck! I mixed glaze all morning and froze. I'll get back to it when it is warmer.
Also as I say, our house was built in 1865, and it may be purple now but it was originally a one room log cabin, and when you go into the basement you see LOGS and you see rocks from the river behind the house. This is the only basement in the area that does NOT flood in the springtime if you can believe it. This house is unbelieveably solid (knock on wood).

Penny and Buster wrestle at dinner time. Here they are.

6 comments:

Lynda said...

Awww... they remind me of my pups at dinner time, too!

Lynda said...

Oh, and the house looks amazing. Do I see a bunch of monster mugs?

Gordo said...

There's something to be said for old construction methods, Gary. :-)

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Are those monster mugs for lefties?

We have houses like that here. I love to tour them and check out basements like yours (except for the spiders). Do you have a dirt floor?

Gary's third pottery blog said...

this part of the basement has concrete down, from 20-30 years ago, and lotsa spiders and the occaisional snake skin (eek!)

red dirt girl said...

i have basement aversion disorder also. geesh - you're really piling the 'fears in me' up today, gr ;)

but what a gorgeous basement !! your house is WAYYY COOOLLL !!! and as long as there is daylight and a fast exit out of the basement, i think i could handle a quick tour.

just please ... send Spike down first to clear out the spiders and snakes !!

and i'll need a broom.
just in case.
oh, and maybe and some smelling salts if i faint.
heh.
silly mule. mules can't faint ...

xxx
rdm