Monday, April 27, 2009

doomed vs. delicious














(dirt and seeds and TORTILLA SURPRISE and plate by Gary Rith)
OK, so I got some seeds into dirt today inside, after weeding and such outside. This pic? Morning glories, marigolds and sunflowers PERIOD. Last year all my sunflowers died (and half the morning glories) because I planted them May 30 and then we had 3 nights with temps in the 20s (early June, temps in the 20s????). So, hopefully this stuff is not DOOMED. But usually in my care, plants are DOOMED. Like the dying cilantro I have here in the pic.
On the other hand, I am an ace in the kitchen and made tortilla surprise for dinner. Yummo! A nice hot dish to eat on an evening when it is 92 degrees outside, and in the studio where the kiln has been cooking pots, 120 degrees inside.......

9 comments:

Gary said...

Yummm on the tortilla surprise. Ditto on killing plants dead...although there are 3 alive in the house - beyond all odds.

Floral Still Life said...

I prefer to plant from seed directly into the garden. I don't do well at transplanting flowers. Yet, I hate thinning out the flowers I plant from seed. Oh well. I'm into doing floral still life photography. Today I posted on my blog an image of some of my blue morning glories today. Come and "smell the flowers" at http:photographyhints.blogspot.com

red dirt girl said...

wow! and he COOKS, TOO!!
do you have a twin?

xxx
rdm

Amy said...

good luck with the plants. Hey, the teapot you donated for the Clayworks All Fired Up event found a new home! The owner is thrilled to have received it. She was stalking the silent auction table to the very end. I put a pic on my blog.

Barbara Martin said...

Gary, I'm certain you will do well with your plants.

Susan as Herself said...

I have always had better luck transplanting little plants into the garden than I have getting things to grow from seeds. But it's fun to try both ways.

One lucky year I planted a mess of sunflower seeds and a bunch of Oriental poppy seeds, and both bloomed into HUGE globs of flowers. That was a good year, I guess.

Jerry said...

Maybe you'll be a lucky kat this year with the plants! We have a few of them in the fridge right now. You can't really go wrong with Magic Hat. The seasonal in the variety pack right now is called Wacko and it is super summertastic tasty.

Kimberly said...

The tortilla suprise sounds good.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I have 2 black thumbs. I actually enjoy watching my poinsettias slowly die each January and February. The garden is all my husband's doing, much as he wishes I took an interest in it.

Don't you know you are supposed to use your grill on hot days? Veggie-kabobs sound pretty awesome, and then there is also a nice cool summer salad. On the other hand, tortilla surprise looks pretty yummy!