Sunday, April 12, 2009

le pizza spaghetti casserole




My pal Farmer's Wife showed this recipe for a casserole that is wicked tasty and easy. I thought it would be good for Easter, and I made it vegetarian too.

This is the recipe she posted, but I am adding the changes I made.

PIZZA SPAGHETTI (Casserole) :-D


This recipe comes from Southern Living Magazine, March 2007's issue. Of course, being the typical Farmer*sWife I am, I changed it up a little -- you know -- to make it my own!


Ingredients:
12 oz spaghetti (my box had 14.5 oz)
1 (lb) ground beef (my box of soy burger was 12 oz)
2 oz package of pepperoni slices (my box was twice that big,and soy)
26oz tomato pasta sauce (your favorite)
8 oz of grated cheeses (well, for the missus I used muenster, I can't have dairy, so I had soy cheese).

Process:
Cook spaghetti with 1/2 tsp salt according to package directions. Drain well and set aside. Brown ground beef (SOY!) in skillet until cooked and crumbly. Drain. (I also added a ton of chopped peppers and chopped broccoli, yummo!)

Here is where I change it -- for the better and easier too -- again, making it my own.
I cut some pepperoni slices into quarters and mix it in with the meat in skillet. Add your pasta sauce and warm together, stirring occassionally. Mix in cooked spaghetti. (well, I kept the soy pepperoni out, and mixed the cooked spaghetti, the veggie soy-beef and pasta sauce all together and dumped it into 2 pans)

Spray a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish with non-stick spray. (I did 2 smaller pans, one for dairy cheese, one for soy)Pour in spaghetti mixture. Top with cheeses and finally with a layer of pepperoni. Bake covered at 350 for about 30 minutes or until bubbly. Remove the cover and bake a few more minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned or bubbly (10 minutes or less).


Remove from oven and let set about five minutes.

FANTASTICO!

2 comments:

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Sounds Fabu-tastic! I would love to try it your style!

Happy Easter! And, Happy Pizza Spaghetti!

Jeannette StG said...

Wow, this sounds great. It's 1 am, but this makes me hungry - definietly will add this to my recipe box!