Thursday, April 23, 2009

whoa, lookit that!



(Gary Rith in 1996 teaching at Cush!ng Academy, and working in the Bennington College ceramics studio in 1986 with one of his vases)

I was looking for the cafe logo, below, and came across these old pics I had scanned. I had taught English and art at a boarding prep school in Massachusetts in the 90s (yes I had to wear jacket and tie all the time--interesting contrast to my scruffy self in college and now, eh?), also coached cross country and track and ran the yearbook and was a dorm parent--they run you f###ing ragged when you teach at a boarding school, it was fun for awhile. Now I hate kids. (kidding!) (but wait, they are childless, so maybe he isn't kidding)
Then the lower pic is me in my college student days. Art students had to study two disciplines, and mine were architecture and ceramics. I came to hate architecture by the time I was a senior (not kidding!) but it made for a good design background.

I dreamt that me and Missus Chocolate Brownie were thieves. We were taking all kinds of stuff out of a garage and loading it into a rickity cart and there were people all around but we were playing it nonchalant....and she distracted would-be witnesses by stripping down to her HAWT undies as we made our escape. Presumably my wife's idea was that in looking at her in her hawt undies they wouldn't notice the cart full of electronics we were escaping with....

Today I deliver a load of monster mugs to Manndible Cafe. That is their logo, and it makes for a very amusing handmade mug. I should make some more to sell here.....



10 comments:

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I shall make sure that my children are exceedingly well-behaved when we come to visit. (Well, maybe not... but really? It's SuperDad I have to worry about...)

Gary, you just made my day: a picture of YOU in a TIE and dress shirt!! (and a mustache, but that isn't quite as funny)

Anonymous said...

congrats on the commission... the mugs came out great. i have to say that you look a wee bit like charlie chaplin when you sport the "stache".

Kimberly said...

The mugs look great Gary.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

not f###ing Charlie Chaplin, MAGNUM PI

red dirt girl said...

the mugs scare me.
nothing like looking into a set of gaping jaws before i close my eyes and sip ..... EEEEEKKKK!

xxx
rdm

Gordo said...

I love those mugs, Gary.

I have a hard time picturing you roaring about in a Ferrari, though. :-)

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Great mugs for Manndible Cafe. The customers must love 'em. Fun seeing your old pics. My, my, my... time does fly!

Anonymous said...

Love the mugs. Scary! Those glazes are beautiful: I love how they "break" on the handles.
Miri

Lynda said...

The mugs are fantastic!

Christi said...

I heart my monster mug!