Sunday, April 5, 2009

the elephant mama and how do Mormons do it?



(pottery by Gary Rith)
It is perhaps well know that I like mama and baby sculptures. A beagle and her puppies, a pig and her piglets, and an elephant and little elephant. I realized the other day that you have a special opportunity with elephants---mama can pick up baby in her trunk! At least in clay, if not real life.

As for my Mormon friends, how do they do it? I have a cup of coffee at my side, I just brought the whole pot up. I suppose if you grow up without coffee you wouldn't miss it, but goodness, such a wonderful and innocent pleasure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

love that deep blue color... i don't know how you can live life without coffee

Gary said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Gary. I am really enjoying poking around your site (and the one this leads to). Your work is beautiful, sometimes whimsical and always interesting. I'll be back (and I'll link you to my site).

Jason, as himself said...

I grew up Mormon. I did not have my first cup of coffee until I was 28 years old.

And now? I don't know how I ever started a day without coffee.

And drinking is not an innocent pleasure for Mormons. It is a dreadful sin that can deny you everlasting happiness. By the way.

Jason, as himself said...

I meant to say "drinking coffee is not an innocent pleasure for Mormons." Not just drinking.

Although that is the same kind of sin.

r garriott said...

Love the mama and baby elephant!!! I've never seen anything like it. Thank you for making my day and for infusing your website with fun and good humor.