Saturday, February 14, 2009

le cats


(cookie jars by Gary Rith)
I have been fiddling with cats this week. Now you can see why. When you make a cat, you start thinking maybe they should be glazed blue with purple dots, and maybe they will be. The little handles on the upper side of the jars look good, but do you know why, historically, lidded jars had little handles like that? I'll tell you--so that a piece of twine could be used to tie the lid shut. Keep the bugs out and the rice (or liquid of whatever) in.
Nowadays potters like to put them on there 'cause they look cute.

5 comments:

Just Me said...

Prrrrrr-fect!! They are cute!!

Anonymous said...

I'm terribly distracted by the adorable header of Spike, Emily kitten, and Penny.

~ Sil in Corea said...

I just love those jars! Also love bits of data like the reason for those tiny 'handles'. Thanks, Gary!

Wildrun said...

They look like purrfect kitty treat jars to me!

Prohomemaker.Com said...

Love 'em!