Monday, February 16, 2009

le pigs, le fish



















(pots by Gary Rith)
So yesterday I do two things. ONE, I make some mug bodies and some jars with lids plus I am making a cat to go atop one of those jars. I make this huge grinning cat, and his paws are kinda outstretched, and so I am thinking "he's grinning because he just nabbed a fish" so I make a fish for him to hold and it is RATHER CUTE I think so I imagine when I finish the jar, instead of little handles on the side there could be leaping fish! Then I add some to mugs, as seen on the left.

So I have been fiddling here all morning with fish and I am thinking of putting a big leaping fish atop the second jar (with plain little handles---as I explained before, little handles like that on a jar, historically, allowed the owner to use twine to tie the lid on tight so that the flour or corn or beer would stay inside and the bugs would stay outside) but instead, just as the needle on the compass always wants to point north, I always want to make a pig. SO, I am making this big mama pig and I start thinking, "well, maybe there are 3 little pigs or she has a wee one on her head or on her back on in front of her or in her lap BUT what if, and I have not done this before, she had a swaddled baby pig in her lap????".
That's when you say "shooooot, that's cute!".

(mystery to me: why do I enjoy making mama and babies so much?)

6 comments:

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

The cat and fish container would be great for cat treats! You know, for the pet lover, you could do one with a doggie too and have dog bones instead of fish!

;-) Doggies need a treat jar too!

Anonymous said...

you are really into it now - a whole series of animals on your pots - I am looking forward to the leaping fish and the mama pig and babies - you are right - you'll get to hear the cute word often :)

Tink said...

Lovin' da fish-eh!

Susan as Herself said...

I agree with Farmer's Wife---perfect cat treat jar. Love it!

Linda Starr said...

very cute

Anonymous said...

I can't believe no one else has said it yet: PIG IN A BLANKET!

but maybe that is just something from my childhood that didn't make it across the country??