Saturday, February 7, 2009

Christi and Eric


(little kitties by Christi)

Kind of interesting day. I wander into the public library and there are a dozen exhibit cases and I am like, 'hey, these teapots are by Eric Serritella, I wonder why there aren't any name tags on here?' (see pic below) and keep wandering down the cases, and yowza, there's Eric himself! Eric had a teapot next to mine in an exhibit last fall. My tea SET was 95 bucks, with cups and all the rest, his tea POT, singular, which looked like the item below, was thousands of dollars. He is a totally super nice guy and works on these pots for months. Weeks anyway. He recognized me, I am really bad. If I have met you and we run into each other on the street and I have a blank look? Don't feel bad. I will remember your Mickey Mouse tee shirt before I remember your face and name.

Which happened shortly thereafter. So I go into the Cornell studio to mess around. There is all these people there. My beg one class starts NEXT Saturday, but people were confused and came THIS Saturday. I was making my thing, but helped them too. Totally nice bunch of new students. There was a psycho-therapist there, speaking of me not remembering people, who had visited my studio for hours last fall and I thought something was familiar about her, and now she is taking my class. I guess I sold my skills as a teacher pretty well, even if I forgot all about her.

Back here on earth, Christi, who has come over a couple of times to play with clay, made these little cats and now, OF COURSE SHE BLOGS. Christi is sooooo wonderful and creative. Aren't her clay cats cute with the cat?

(teapot by Eric Serritella)

5 comments:

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

What an interesting and earthy take on a tea pot. Like a tree trunk or growing root or stem? Very unusual and unique.

And, the kitties are cute too!

Linda Starr said...

Oh I remember Eric's site you pointed out to me, wow looks like real birch bark. Love those cats, so cute and creative.

Christi said...

Thanks Gary! Although it's a stretch to talk about my wee kitties and Eric's amazing work (I've been admiring his teapots for years) in the same post...

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

The photo of itty bitty kitties and big cat made me think of a kids' book we had around here somewhere called "Catzilla."

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That is absolutely amazing.