Friday, February 6, 2009

le hippos



(pottery by Gary Rith)
I made these guys last Saturday as you saw on the all-hippo afternoon, they dried quickly and I fired them in my baby kiln with that load of little crabby clams because the rather excellent people from Hippo.com, no seriously, from hippo.com, were demanding results. You will have noticed that yesterday I was already making more creamers and sugars. The creamer here DOES indeed pour out the mouth, although probably drippily and messily.
In answer to the question you were about to ask: YES there are hippo cookie jars and teapots, but I usually just make a little hippo for the top of the lid. And also yes, within a week I can show you these items, once they're made and fired.
As for price, SUPER EXPENSIVE.
(yeah right, all my prices are excellent)

6 comments:

Tink said...

I've always marveled at the affordability of your prices. Here in St. Augustine, you could get away with selling your stuff for three times the amount. But you probably wouldn't... because you're a good guy who does what he does out of love, not money.

Lynda said...

Oh, your hippos are amazing... and the elephants are, too.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Thanks! I don't like my stuff to gather dust. I make it, I sell it.
:)

Linda Starr said...

Hippolotafus - did you once fire them? They are beautiful.

Unknown said...

I do very much like the way all your adorable 'critters', be they hippos, cows, pigs, et al, seem to reflect YOUR sunny nature. Very nice abd I can never look at anything you've made without smiling back. A good thing, I think.

The Queen said...

OK.. just the cutest evah... I love these..