Thursday, January 29, 2009

red at night, sailor's delight, red in the morning, sailor's take warning





I am shipping boxes today to Houston and California. You would think that I might use a BIG box and bubblewrap myself inside and go to a warmer place, along with my pots.
On the other hand, my friends in these warm places may not realize how pretty January can be in the north. I am glad the camera was in my pocket when Penny and I walked to the park this morning. Holy cats, can you believe this sunrise? If you can believe it, the sun was rising over Mt Pleasant. Yep, that's its name. The last pic shows my own back yard and the frozen river beyond filled with a thousand ducks and geese. I know, I couldn't see them in this pic either. There is only one little patch of open water left on the river, all the rest is frozen, so the ducks and geese are concentrated right behind my house.
There were also a lot of deer in our yard last night. We have two young and wonderful little apple trees. Each summer the deer eat all the apples, because the trees are still small. This winter the deer are pruning the BRANCHES of the trees. Which is actually, to my non-green thumb mind, possibly beneficial.

12 comments:

Hilary said...

Oooh.. gorgeous shots. I'd love to be visited by deer. They must know they're safe at your animal-loving home.

tt said...

I loved the sunrise pics!!! such colors.....ummmmmmm **sigh***

One of my SIL's feed deer in her W. Virginia back yard..up in the mountians...
Cost her dearly(ha ha) but she gets a couple dozen every day! Wow!
Gotta love your camera babe!
Keep warm :)

Glennis said...

I like seeing that Ithaca countryside again! When we lived there, we lived first right downtown, in a big yellow 1850's house right next to the gorge. That's where we spent the winter. In June we moved to a little out-building behind a farmhouse out on the highway east of town. I wish I could remember the names of the streets. Your pictures look a lot like the area near our second place.

Anonymous said...

no wonder winter is your favorite season.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

:::spew::: winter is NOT my favorite season, and G, you probably lived close to me!

Anonymous said...

That is one GORGEOUS sunrise!
We had a 2-hour late start for school today, so I missed the sunrise. I was catching my Zzzzz's. But now the house is quiet after 2 days of no school! Whoot! (Actually, it was quiet before, unless you went down to the basement to visit boyland. That's where all the Wii action was taking place. For 2 days straight.)

PS: My BB in Dallas told me it was 21 degrees yesterday morning. It's just not that much of an improvement, eh?

Gary's third pottery blog said...

was warmer than 21 up here!!!!

Anndi said...

Mah Honey said the very same thing on Sunday morning as we sat and enjoyed a cup of coffee and each others company before he had to fly out and I had to make a long drive home. What exactly does that expression mean?

Real Live Lesbian said...

WOWZA! Beautiful pics!

Di Mackey said...

We're just heading into another cold snap here in Belgium - I don't like the minus celsius stuff :(

Just Me said...

I think we could all do with some warmer temps.

Wep said...

GORGEOUS pictures and WOOOF to Penny!