Thursday, January 15, 2009

you know its cold when the river freezes





(pitcher by Gary Rith, Emily our fat little kitten in a box, and Penny overlooking Fall Creek)
Fall Creek is a fast moving little river behind our house. It froze partway in December and has been open since, which the ducks and geese appreciate. Yesterday the snow and ice at the bridge by out house started to build and freeze. It was around zero last night and I suspect the open water in this pic is now all frozen for maybe most of the length of the creek. Last year it froze so fast that it was smooth and clear as glass and the guy in the house across from us was skating on it (no way would I ever walk on ice!).
Got a package the other day and Emily has turned the box into her nest, and I am wicked pleased with this pitcher--a first effort at this type of polka dots.
I was noticing yesterday that according to our old thermometer, approx. 10 1/2 below c is also about 10 1/2 above f. And we all know -40 is the same in f or c.

6 comments:

J said...

Skating on a frozen lake: yep, you betcha.
Skating on a a frozen river: no thanks (the water is still rushing by under the ice, and can easily push through and create weak spots if its a strong enough flow)

Ironically, its -21F here in MN, and my captcha word is "warma". he he

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

YAY! I heart polka dots. BOOOO, I don't like freezing weather. Poor you.

Just Me said...

I am not liking these below zero temps we are currently having. "Temperatures lowest in a decade" - to quote the weather man!

I left North Dakota for a good reason! Though our lows are nuttin to the -23 F they are having. Brrrrr!!!!

Gordo said...

Gary, river ice is safest in the deep areas. The current is more turbulent in the shallow spots and causes the problems that J mentions. the shallow areas are the last to open for skating on the Rideau Canal Skateway in Ottawa.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Well, to tell the truth, this river is about 2-3 feet and not much deeper in spots around here! but I am not falling through and chilling my *#$!

Anonymous said...

I've posted a picture before of me standing on a frozen lake. No lake here to freeze, but it is wickedly COLD and getting colder. Today's high is 25-F but there is a wind chill to go with it, so maybe about 12 F? Tonight, it will be single digits (I don't wanna think about the wind chill).