Friday, January 9, 2009

I <3 you





















(pots by Gary Rith)
So, the finished cup and teapot up there? When I make a ducky pitcher I use an upside down handle, because you know, it looks a little like a duck's a$$. But it got me thinking, and so I wanted to see how it would look on a mug, and I liked it so much I put an upside down handle on this piggy teapot. I think the piggy here is a bit too big and may replace him today with a smaller one, and YES, that is another polka dot experiment in progress....
So, my pal Farmer's wife keeps pestering me---"can't you try to make a heart shaped mug?" which I was puzzling over, and inevitably a fairly simple solution is best and I figured out how I wanted to try it and so I whacked this rounded mug in a couple of spots and it became a heart, then I thought a straight sided mug would look even better and so there you go. Now I gotta make dozens of them and glaze them red because all the fellas are gonna need them for their ladies.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That bottom one would look fantastic in a beautiful red and used on my desk for a pen/pencil/scissors/stuff holder. (minus a handle)

I know that doesn't sound too glam - but I think it would be great!

Lynda said...

I like the heart shape! You could make the handles like a leaning heart, too.

Gordo said...

You know I'll want one. :-)

Those swirls turned out beautifully, too!

Knight said...

The heart turned out beautiful. Well done Gary! I can imagine sipping cocoa from it already.

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

GASP! I must have one, Gary!!!! They came out awesome! One is a bowl, right? And, the latter a mug, though I agree with a handle, or handles leaning like hearts.

REALLY! You nailed it exactly how "I" envisioned! Pink or red. Or pink with red polk-a-dots! OOoooooh, or Red with a big FW in white! (That'd be mine, of course!)

Too bad DH doesn't drink coffee cuz' I could so get him one of these for Valentines day.

I seriously think I want one Gary. Let me go count my nickel and penny jar!

You are SOOOO talented!!!!!

Giggles said...

Okay I'm lovin the heart shaped mug and is that dish....oh my goodness...so special!

Hugs Giggles

Anonymous said...

Looks to me like those'll hold a loooot of gin.

Anonymous said...

I *heart* Celeste.