Friday, January 23, 2009

( ) ) versus ) ( ) handles




(mugs by Gary Rith, Gary Rith's hand by God and his mom and dad, gold wedding ring that had belonged to his wife's grandmother in the 1920s).
My wife's grandmother may have had huge German fingers, or I have tiny little fingers, or maybe both. YES, my wedding ring was hers 70-80 years ago, and it is too big for my left hand. But that's not my point.
SO I am making these loop handles these days, and you can see the light green footed mugs on the bottom with turtle or frog really work well with a loop handle. But then I asked how about a mug that is shaped ( ) or the same size mug shaped ) (
Look at the diagram! Even my small fingers can barely fit the mug that is ( )) versus the mug that is ) ( ) !!!!!! Do you see my point here?

So, for this type of handle, you have to make sure there is plenty of room for fingers.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Crafter of Khnum said...

How about more of a ( )]?

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

I get it! I had to scroll up and check'em out a second time. Crafter offered ()], so I have to offer )(] obviously! LOL!

I like )() Okay, enough code talk!

Happy Friday Mr. Rith!

Anonymous said...

Why don't you remove the handles entirely like the japanese do with their mugs? That way, we can all handle the lovely pots and contemplate their beauty.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

and burn our fingers, yeah, there's a SUPER IDEA!

Crafter of Khnum said...

Have you seen how the martial artists train? They toughen up the hands by punching bamboo trees, and then also by plunging them into hot coals repeatedly.

Crafter of Khnum said...

Oh, yes. I've also been itching for the right time to make my handles like ( )~ :-)