Sunday, November 23, 2008

remember picking blueberries in August?


(berry bowl by Gary Rith)
My pal Susan in Chicago wanted this guy and he is now on her counter full of apples! My other pal Lis of Root and Sprout bought one like it last summer....
With Susan it was funny . She asked for a berry bowl with cherries, having seen my strawberries. THE PROBLEM was that I had just made my first white bowls with blueberries, which I consider a superb new glaze combo. So I told Susan she didn't want cherries, go for the blueberries instead. That sort of defines the creative process--you have to make what you do best and are most inspired to do, even if the customer THINKS she wants cherries.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you certainly have a way of convincing a person she needs this over that. Incidentally . . . the little matching berry bowls I now have probably get the most use out of any other bowl in my house! The kids are very possessive about them and prefer to eat everything from them. We're getting very good use out of them!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

poor Lis, I gave her 4 bowls for a family of 5!!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan as Herself said...

Weeeelllll, I still want cherries. I love blueberries, and am THRILLED with this bowl....but don't think I am not gonna keep bugging you for something with cherries. Preferably something in that cool black glaze I saw on a teapot!! I am thinking a mug... but I will have to mull it over. See? I LOVE the blueberries, but I ain't givin' up on future cherries! :)

Anonymous said...

Love this bowl!