Sunday, November 30, 2008

TP; nobody made the bed????? and a horrific book or two

You know the wife is gone when you go upstairs at night and the bed is still unmade. What's up with that? Oh, right, she makes the bed....(I am mister homemaker and it is my job to clean and attend to most duties, but I DON'T MAKE BEDS, which is a guy thing, you know? I mean dishes, sure, cooking, of course, cleaning the cat box, check, but making the bed? ) I am also confused about the way my wife likes the TP to turn. Does it roll out this way? Or that way? I know it matters to her, but I really can't remember the proper direction.
I have no doubt that my wife and her sisters are having a blast in NY city this week, while I am here working and cleaning the cat box. I have no doubt they are shopping for MY CHRISTMAS GIFTS which I will admit is quite important.

When the wife is gone, I seem to do some odd things. More odd than usual at least. Some of you may know that I was surprised that when I went to find and join a facebook group last night called "Anarcho-punk potters" I was surprised to discover NO SUCH GROUP EXISTED. It does now. A couple of clicks and BOOM! You have started a facebook group. Amazing world, eh? You can blog about TP and start a silly facebook group and it just enriches the world.

I also find that when the wife is away I read late into the night. I finished "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" the other day, which I HIGHLY recommend, even though it ends in horrible disaster. Then last night I read in one sitting Cormac McCarthy's "The Road". OOOOph. All of Cormac's books are amazingly written stories with noble and rich characters and dialogue. But he doesn't write a cheerful book. "All the Pretty Horses" was part of a trilogy that made you weep, "No Country for Old Men" was so full of death there was NO WAY I could watch the movie, and "The Road" is even more horrific than that. It is one of those post-apocalypse stories where most of civilization is gone, people are savages, resources are scarce, and survival isn't a game. The father in this book, you come to realize, is living only to save his son for a better future. Despite the awfulness that permeates every mile of their trip, including one of the most horrible things I have ever seen in a story, the father hopes that his son will find some good people to live with. The father puts EVERYTHING into saving his son. You appreciate a character like that, and the son is very special. And you have to have hope. But the book is a nightmare and parts of it are running through my head all the time.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Up and Over on the TP, Gary. ;)

Gary's third pottery blog said...

OH. But then there's the fact that our TP holder is vertical so the roll sticks up....

Anonymous said...

Be sure to cut the mood with some comedy or something. And hey, if you're counting on us to shop, would you please let me know what you want for Christmas? Thanks!
EH

Gary's third pottery blog said...

bourbon, Emily, bourbon please

Anonymous said...

Out and around then, on the TP, Gary.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

we are TP dyslexic!

Gordo said...

Existential question: why is it only the women who care which way the TP goes?

Anonymous said...

Silly men. It's because we use the TP Every. Single. Time. Do us a favor and make it easy on us. Do it our way! lol