Thursday, November 27, 2008

paella


So we had vegetarian paella for Thanksgiving dinner. Paella is a Spanish stew of sorts with rice, veggies, shellfish, chicken, sausage and about anything else you can think of, including saffron. Saffron, of course, is the little yellow bit of spice from a crocus, making everything yellowy. A woman who worked with the missus was in Qatar and came home with a big jar of saffron for the missus, worth I dunno, a hundred bucks?
So, our paella had soy sausage and soy chicken and a boatload of veggies and rice, according to the recipe from Vegetarian Times. I, however, feel that recipes are mere suggestions, the missus think they should be followed. There was some tension. I dumped a ton of pepper and red pepper into the mess, and refused to follow directions, and the missus is one of those careful cooks....(the angry look on her face, due to my meddling!!!!!! good thing I had already made triple chocolate cookies!) anyway, twas wicked delicious, esp. with chocolate cookies and Cape Codders (my only nod to tradition---a drink with a little cranberry juice!).

12 comments:

Hilary said...

That looks yummy.. peppers sure seem like they belong. I tend to mess with recipes too. The only problem with that is never remembering just what I did in order to reproduce it next time.

cm said...

What's a Cape Codder?

Lynda said...

Thanksgiving paella - now that's a new twist. It looks and sounds great! Happy Thanksgiving, Gary, Missus, and the gang!

Gordo said...

Yummy saffron and I love paella of all kinds.

Anonymous said...

Looks good. I always skip the Turkey....and end up with a very starchy dinner.....

Where in the heck do you find soy chicken???

H

Fortune Cookies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fortune Cookies said...

I'm with yah, Gary, recipes are suggestions, not the culinary law. I always adjust them to my palette.
I LOVE paella! I've never made it vegetarian, though, and I love cooking with tofu, so now I have something to try! I have a mui excellente paella recipe from my family, I'm sure I could simply swap soy meats for the real ones and it would be great! Thanks for the idea!

~ Sil in Corea said...

Love paella, and risotto, too. Koreans are shy to eat tasty rice mixes. Even their wonderful "five-grain" mix needs doctoring-up by means of soy sauce and assorted veggies. {However, I will throw in anything from turmeric to cinnamon, just to try a new taste.}

WV is whorm
Is that a question or a creepy-crawlie?

Barbara Martin said...

I'm a turkey, sweet potatoe, stuffing and gravy, gal, myself. But the photo looks great. You really need to post the recipe, Gary.

Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

I was showing off your blog last night at the Thanksgiving dinner I was at--we all were showing off things on the internet for our hostess, who is in her 60s and just got her first computer. Everyone ohed and ahed at the sight of the vegetarian paella. "Yeah, my BIL is a pretty good cook," I said. Hope it tastes as good as it looks.
EH

Anonymous said...

Looks good to me!

I'm with Maude on recipes, but my dh is just like you, Gary, and usually his whims turn out delicious!

We need the recipe for Cape Codders. Please?

Jessica said...

That looks amazing! Hope you had a good one! :)