Friday, November 28, 2008

get a life that doesn't suck


So I was listening to the radio and this lady was describing her book and how you can chill out, esp. when stressed.
Last night Penny was howling at the firemen outside our window and I really yelled at her to SHUT UP. (beagles are LOUD, esp. in the middle of the night when firemen are all over the front yard across the street)
So, my life doesn't suck, I probably have the best life of anybody on earth, but I get a little frantic sometimes. Frantic and confused and stressed. So she says
BACK
Don't just yell at the dog
:
breathe
acknowledge what you feel (pissed as hell that a small beagle is howling in your ear at 11pm) but don't wallow in it
choose --you have a choice, what can you do for the outcome you want, which is to have a quiet dog?
kick into gear--so, basically, act on the choice--such as hold the sweet little dog's head, look her in the eye and calmly, firmly and politely ask her to shut the F### up.
I don't need a life coach or know if anybody else does, but there is wisdom to taking a calm breath and thinking a split second before you give an angry response to somebody, esp. an adorable little beagle.

Well anyway, she has a useful website and an ONLINE QUIZ! It will tell you if your life sucks.

7 comments:

Hilary said...

Aww Penny was protecting you.. just not your ears. Benny "woof"s at imaginary people in the back yard..usually when he's hungry. I think it's his way of earning his dinner by guarding us. It's sweet really. But a howling beagle, late at night - not so much.

Anonymous said...

Penny is just following her Beagle instincts. That's her job and she clearly does it well. Your job is to let her know that you thank her for a job well done but she can be quiet now. Calmly and firmly. Don't be afraid to use a little dog body language my lifting your upper lip just a wee bit to show your teeth. It's the dog message for, "You're pissing me off now."

Oh and my "joy quotient" is 91. Not bad.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

91 ! :)
I think Penny has a 99 though.

Anonymous said...

Check out this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEafJTTALlQ

cm said...

93. Huh. Better than I expected.

Gordo said...

Yah, I got 91, too. Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

A howling beagle in the middle of the night reminds me of a crying baby in the middle of the night. Either way, I suppose you'd better lullaby-voice whatever you say.