Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Le Wedding




(chalice by Gary Rith)
My very besT buddies Maggie and Katie are getting married. Well, they eloped to Connecticut on Christmas and got legally married, now doing the actual ceremony with party and relatives and friends this spring. You would love them--brilliant and creative and fun and FRIENDLY and all that. a WHOLE MORE FRIENDLY THAN ME. Plus, of course, Katie is also a Nebraska native like me.
OK, so it will be a Unitarian service, and Unitarians have a chalice for a candle and flame and I am the lucky dude who was tasked with making the chalice.
They were hoping for something a little bit along the lines of the chalice below, and I made mine a little like it. And held myself back: no piggy on there :)

10 comments:

Lynda said...

That's just beautiful, Gary... beautiful!

Jeannette StG said...

I like your chalice more, Gary! It's more festive.

Aleta said...

Ohhh, love it!

Miss Heather said...

Gosh, you can make everything from a pig to a chalice! I never cease to be impressed. You are awesome!

denis said...

congrats to maggie and katie.

Anonymous said...

hey... it's a beautie with that twisty pedestal

Unknown said...

Really lovely, Gary. I have one quite similar that I acquired years ago at a pottery display at a Renaissance Festival. It now holds guest soaps and matches the pottery toothbrush holder, soap dish and drinking cup that make my bathroom so classy! ;-)

cm said...

Lovely! Congrats to the happy couple.

soubriquet said...

Did I mention I like this spirally stuff and pushing things out of shape that you're doing.
Well, in case I didn't, I'll say it here.

Very nice chalice. Very.

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Am catching up on blog-reading and just wanted to say the chalice is really cool. I bet they loved it.