Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pottery in action: let's talk peanut noodles


(pots and peanut noodles by Gary Rith)
Somebody recently said 'hey Gary, when ya gonna post recipes to go with your pics of food?'. I like to keep my secrets, but since I was asked so nicely...
I think I could write a cookbook of favorite peanut butter recipes. I have at least 3 or 4 recipes with peanut butter--these noodles, peanut butter-chocolate cookies, homemade peanut butter cups, and I once shared a recipe experiment for peanut butter and jam muffins. Yum!

If you go to the Thai place, you get the peanut sauce with the satay, or maybe you get the peanut noodles. You're like, 'OH MAN, I wish I could make that!'
So, I may be totally useless for fixing stuff around the house, but give me an apron and spatula and I am CHEF MAGNIFIQUE

Peanut Noodles a la Gary
boil 8 oz pasta

Chop up veggies and whatnot, like onions and garlic, this has cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and fake chicken strips from Morningstar, saute in olive oil and add a little sesame oil if you have it, plus other stuff in your fridge, like soy sauce, lime juice, hot sauce, plenty of black pepper, whatever, maybe some honey and BBQ sauce too, keep it warm as the noodles are boiling

If you have a little blender thingy or something like that toss in:
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
1/8 cup lime juice
2 tbs soy sauce
1 1/2 teas hot sauce
1 teas sesame oil
lotsa grated ginger
2/3 cup olive oil
lotsa garlic gloves

Turn it on! Mince and mix.
I always substitute ingredients in this recipe, just do what you want.
When the noodles finish, drain them, top with peanut sauce then top that with veggies, and top that if you want with nuts or sesame seeds, Oh lord! So tasty!

13 comments:

Jeannette StG said...

It sounds like Pad Thai - is it a variant of it?
I was born in Indonesia and there's a dish called gado-gado (you just say the word twice for plural, the easiest grammar ever:) ) which are crisp steamed veggies with a peanut butter sauce on top of it (less ingredients than yours), eaten with steamed rice and hot pepper chili sauce on the side.

Ron said...

Some chopped peanuts on top would be tasty too. Thanks for sharing.

Emily SIL said...

Spicy peanut sauce is one of my all-time favorites! I've made it a couple of times over the past week.

Emily SIL said...

Another recipe using peanut butter that you might want to try is Senegalese Peanut Soup (or stew). Just google it, and there are many recipes out there. You may have to alter some to make them vegan, but peanut soup is gooooood stuff!

Unknown said...

Anything with peanuts/peanut butter goes over well in our household. Brian (and my father) put peanut butter in their coffee.

Unknown said...

Wow. You make that scrumptious meal sound SO easy : ).

Linda Starr said...

Sounds wonderful, I just might try it, still have some broccoli growing.

Anonymous said...

Yum! Sounds super tasty. Thanks so very much for posting this! And eating out of home made bowls is the best, ain't it? Cute piggie on the bowl on the left, do you have any bowls with critters that can hold/prop chopsticks??? Happy Thursday to you! M

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Peanut butter in coffee?
I am certain that the recipe I got in a magazine was based on gado gado, I love that name!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I want to know if Gary tries putting PB in his coffee! Go ahead, Gary - try it! And then tell us what you think. :P

You make your recipes sound easy... all the "add this, add that"... I just want someone to cook for me!

Kimberly said...

that looks really good. I'll have to try that.

Anonymous said...

oh man... i love love love thai food, always wondered about the peanut sauce... good idea, recipes

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Thank you for tonight's dinner!