Wednesday, May 20, 2009

"Gonna get some leg tonight"

So, there's a dude I come across online whose name is nearly exactly the same as mine--which is unusual. We are a totally small family with this particular variation of the spelling "Rith". There are many Cambodians whose name is Rith, but we are not related.
Rith's in my family came from the German-French border and had their azz kicked by everybody for hundreds of years, par for the course for protestants in Catholic France 200 some years ago, plus all the other unfriendly types to roll across the border since. A few Riths ran to America in the 1700s and were Pennsylvania Dutch: Mennonites, and there are hundreds of people around Pennsylvania etc whose last name is Rieth. A few members of the family stayed where they were, but my branch ran to a German community in Hungary, later coming to New York. Still with me? It is easy to track the Rith's because there are just a handful of us, or so I thought.
Anyway, this dude with almost the same name is French, non-Cambodian, and looks like me, frankly. I write him, and he has some English. We realize we are cousins, of course. BUT, he says, the family is very large, because they are all in the circus (?????) What circus? My family in Europe has a circus?

Blog post title? Van Halen. Enjoy.

7 comments:

Lynda said...

Oh yeah... Gary Rith... circus barker! We need some seal sugar bowls... maybe with a ball on the end of its nose?

Lynda said...

Oh yeah... Gary Rith... circus barker! We need some seal sugar bowls... maybe with a ball on the end of its nose?

kate et Jim said...

Only you, Gary... ;)

denis said...

being animal lovers that we are i hope it's an animal-less circus.

Nancy L.K. Boyce said...

If you ran away to join the circus, what act would you do???

I would be one of those hot sexy girls twirling from a rope by my teeth!

Anonymous said...

I see Gary as the performer with the trained dogs. With a huge Dali-esque 'stache. A herd of trained schnauzers tearing around the ring, jumping and crawling to the oohs and ahhs of all assembled.

Ron said...

Man, I was just rocking out to that VH song the other day!!! Cool.