Saturday, May 23, 2009

le holiday, say what?







(pots by Gary Rith)
So, you know, Penny is ready to get up at 6 but I am not so I sorta nudge the wife and say something leading like "didn't you want to take the dog out?" and my saintly spouse DOES take the dog out and I roll over planning to go back to sleep BUT Penny, now cold and sopping wet, WET I tell you, jumps in under the covers and its like "crapola! guess I am getting UP".
Holiday weekend? Hmm. I need to get some things made, the kiln firing, and Sunday Missus A Minus has to help do something important for Cornell's graduation but maybe Goofy Kim will be coming over, who knows?
Showing here some experiments. My buddy Ron was making and showing oval pots the other day, and his technique is SUPER simple and then I had dreamt I made pots with these grinning bald gargoyles on the side and so I made that horned satyr there (half man, half goat, all party animal) and then I was like "OVAL POTS NEED grinning gargoyles". Yeah!

9 comments:

denis said...

i love the bald gargoyle. but to continue the theme i think you should make him nekkid and give him a tat. now that would be a cool gargoyle.

Anonymous said...

Awesome gargoyle (though I guess they are really grotesques--unless there is a waterspout I'm missing?). I'm still waiting for some funky lizards! :-) Miri

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Missus A Minus? Perhaps she suggested to Penny that jumping into bed all cold and wet was a good thing to do? hahaha

Those vases? That mug? AWESOME!!

Lynda said...

The 3 finished pieces are fantastic! Can't wait to see the completed gargoyle collection.

You just do beautiful work!

Ron said...

Cool gargoyle dude! Thanks for the mention in the post, that technique works wonders. Have a good wk/end.
r

Anonymous said...

Funny morning. We were chasing a little mouse aruond until 3:00 am. I'm wiped!

Unknown said...

I really dig the altered pieces. For a long time, I couldn't bring myself to alter pots because I felt like I was messing up a perfectly good pot... now I like 'messing' them up. :)

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

The vase at the top of this post/first listed is my favorite of the three. Something about it just looks....I can't put my tongue on a word.... But, yeah. :-)

Anonymous said...

beautiful glaze on that first vase