Tuesday, May 26, 2009

FIVE thumbs: portrait of a potter in one hour





So basically, I am an ARTISTE living in my own little bubble, never noticing or caring if faucets leak or paint peels or shingles fall off.
I am, however, married to someone who DOES notice.
OK, so my 6th kitchen faucet repair made things worse darnitall and so I finally throw in the towel, argue with the missus and agree that we shall bring the product booklet to H0me Despots (buy Kohler plumbing fixtures, just do it, they can't be beat) and see if we can replace this HOSE except it turns out the hose is unique and welded on, so they have to give us a whole new handle setup, have I mentioned I love Kohler? And H0me Despots can be pretty darn nice, at least this lady helping us was, so while we're there I get that dang gutter piece I need and I shove it into the car and get home and Lauren across the street is NOT like me, in that she IS handy around the house, helps me get the ladder up and gives me a saw thingy to cut the gutter with and I go up there and down and move the ladder and generally fart around for an hour making a mess of things, but in the end? There is a serviceable pair of gutters over the door, and the shingle above the door is refastened. Not well, but serviceably, and I didn't get hurt, and some day soon I will tackle the small Niagara that is my kitchen sink...
BUT in the middle of this rather unsatisying hour of crummy home improvement near-failures I unload the cooled kiln and it is AWESOME baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gorgeous firing. More on that later kids...
Point A) I am not handy, I am not a gardener
Point B) I suppose it is useful that my wife is vigilant on house upkeep, otherwise I would be living unawares in a damp dump
Point C) My household strong points are I kick azz in the kitchen with baking and cooking every day, I clean the floors and bathroom and litter box all the time, and keep things fairly tidy DAY TO DAY
Point D) my wife tells me I am goog at other things too, ahem
Point E) I am a potter! Yay!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who needs working plumbing when you have lovely shiny new pots! Those elephant mugs are stupendous! Miri

klineola said...

don't forget Point F) you rock the pottery/bloggery WORLD!

Aleta said...

Being an artist and not handy in the house, I get where you are coming from. (And I don't cook, but I do clean.)

Hey, if worse comes to worse, you can always call a plumber. Hehe.

kate et Jim said...

Don't worry, Gary. Jimbo isn't all that handy, either. I basically show him what to do and sometimes it works out and sometimes, well.... we have to call somebody to fix it, if I can't! lol.

Our biggest laugh is - Jim was doing the dishes one day and I was under the bathroom sink fixing the plumbing! One of our pals arrived and fell over laughing! All Jim needed was an apron! :)

Lynda said...

Oh, give in... call the plumber... he's an artiste, too - let him do his magic :)

Susan as Herself said...

We all have our talents and strengths. The key is to find them, identify them,. and USE them. And then befriend people who have differnt talents! ;)

Gary's third pottery blog said...

....and quite satisfyingly, it is RAINING and the new gutters are sorta working not too bad....

Dez said...

Ok, that sounds just like me... except, I don't dare try to fix anything with metal, shingles or stuff like that. I agree with Susan, that's your best bet yet!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Really now, Gary - don't you think that an hour of farting here there and everywhere is more than enough?

[you said it! "fart around for an hour"]

I'm not a teenage boy, but I do have 3 of them.

Unknown said...

You look elated in the pottery pic. ELATED! :)

Janet said...

Ha, my Dad was the same way...and my Mom like your wife :-)

Anonymous said...

you got that right... you are a potter! yay!

Glennis said...

I am not a plumber either, but it's hard to find one who's not an artist. Our local plumber sometimes gazes up at the treetops murmuring how beautiful they are, while on the job. And he doesn't show up on time.

So we have drippy faucets, too.

g-man said...

Now if you could make the hose and drain from clay ..... :)

I'm glad you made it off the roof unscathed.