Monday, May 25, 2009

the good, the bad, the ugly


(pots by Gary Rith)
There are times I know Jesus is in my life (listen to my anarcho-punk self!), like when I eat some groovalicious pizza I made or my sweet wife is sweet to me or my beagle gives me those EYES or maybe my sweet kittie crawls into my lap and purrs, or when I am experimenting, which I do a lot of and which is sometimes not working and is depressing, and make a few things like these pots. I am totally wicked pleased with them. I am SO grateful for all that.

On the other hand, in the last week I have been very BAD. I stay up late every night reading, and have finished 6 and a half novels in the last 8 days, except Penny still gets me up at 5 and this morning I am WHIPPED and a little crabby (maybe even VERY CRABBY ) and I am still experimenting except I don't think my pots so far today are turning out very well, but you know, Jesus would say "carry on, see what happens with the clay, have a little more coffee, go cut the grass and make another pizza..."

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I can relate to the questionable potting days. Sometimes it's just a bear to get an annoying lump of clay to just CENTER already. Maybe your chi is out of whack... have some coffee and chocolate and show that clay who's boss. :)

Miss Heather said...

Ooooh... share what you've been reading!

Anonymous said...

I hear you, bro. I've been staying up too late for too long and I'm getting whipped. The silly birds chirped me awake at 5:30 this morning. Nice wake-up call, but too early.

Books! Share the books!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I think I am also the type of self-employed person who makes a long list everyday and then PUSHES to do it all. The race is only with myself, you know?
OK, Denis Mina, the Garnethill trilogy, mysteries from Glasgow and rather brutal but fantastic, Bernard Cornwell's Grail Trilogy about a soldier in 1300 something, also brutal, and as I said below, TC Boyle's Talk Talk at the moment, EXCELLENT.

Lynda said...

I can SO relate to being on a reading jag - I stayed up past 2:30am yesterday - couldn't help it!

Unknown said...

Oh, I can so relate. A good book can make me lose ALL reason! Last week I stayed up until 4:00 in the morning reading Water for Elephants.

I hope you can sleep well tonight and I hope you are not a grumpy bear in the morning : ).

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Gary is talking Jesus!

Funny, he never tells me to have more coffee, cut the grass, or make pizza. I must be too complicated.