Monday, August 31, 2009

the lighting set up



(zebra teapot by Gary Rith)
SO Miri is talking about lighting set ups and my old pal Gord had suggested a webpage where a dude tells you how to make a light box for taking shots of art work and what have you. I didn't have cloth, and used tracing paper instead, bought 3 cheapo light at Home Despots and daylight compact flourescents etc, and here ya go: serviceable pics taken in a cadboard box. I have a grey sheet of paper too, which I use on the rare white pot as a background, when I remember.
I am really NOT a perfectionist, and my little snap shot camera just gets set on auto and the light toned down a bit, and VOILA: good enough pics for under 20 bucks.

15 comments:

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

You don't need to be a perfectionist when you are this creative. :)

Anonymous said...

Must...get...third...light!!!! :-) Thanks Gary!

Unknown said...

Mahvalous, dahling, mahvalous. :)

denis said...

very kewl!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Very clever. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

i'm with miri, i tried this but didn't have the light above and i had a hell of a time finding a big enough cardboard box. your photos look great, especially those high contrast black licorice pots. great pics of you taking pics of spike

Linda Starr said...

What a great idea, Gary, thanks for the info. I happen to have a couple of moving boxes. I love your zebras.

cindy shake said...

Great light box! Black and high gloss glaze is really hard to capture but you did a nice job.

Jay said...

That's a very cool set up. Maybe you can convince the cat to get in there and take some glamor shots? haha ;-)

Susan as Herself said...

Boy, I LOVE that pic of Spike in the mirror!!! :)

Gallow said...

Excellent work. I like inexpensive solutions that work well.

Gallow said...

The dinosaur mug was a hit at today's department tea.

Gordo said...

Jim, try an appliance store. A refrigerator or stove box would do the trick. :-)

Unknown said...

I love it! Love it. LOVE IT : ) Yay for cheapness. Yay for republicans! Yay for new school years.... : )

Chelle said...

VERY cool set up. As a photographer, I know the "proper" way to set it up but was told time and time again by instructors that one does not need fancy equipment or lights for good results. One only needs a little know-how. Voila! You've proven them right.

Another good lighting website for shots on the cheap is Strobist. Just Google it and you'll find it.