Wednesday, August 12, 2009

the chef speaks: potato burritos




















Down a post or 2, under Bowie, from last night, I showed dinner, Chez Gary.
I always woooed my lady with food. She is TINY, but she eats like a horse----just one of those people.....
The first time she ever came to visit my apartment and meet my cat, in 1991, before we dated but 2 years after we had first met, we made Christmas cookies and frosted them. I hooked her good....

So, potato burritos????? Seems like an odd idea doesn't it? Tres delicious though, as potatos are good any old way.
When I was a teacher at Chicago Lighthouse for the Blind in the early 90s I had a classroom assistant from Mexico. She was awesome--my adopted auntie. But she explained that in Mexico people don't eat (as Americans do at Chilis) stacks of chicken and steak burritos covered with cheese. Folks are poor and eat more simply, veggies, beans, potatos with tortillas. Hard to believe something so authentically Mexican is rarely heard of here. This is what I do:

Potato burritos

-start oven at 400
-in casserole baking dish toss about 5 small-medium red potatos (they are little, you know?) thinly diced with a couple of spoonfulls of oil and bake 35 minutes
-in your fry pan, saute onion, red pepper, carrot, then after a few mins toss in a can of black beans and some diced tomatos and diced (soy in my case) sausage, and as much hot peppers and hot sauce as you like--heat for several minutes until cooked, then cover and set aside
-when the potatos are done, turn off the oven and pull them out
-lay out your 6-8 big tortillas and fill each with potatos and beans and fold and roll, placing them snuggled into the casserole dish
-cover with cheese(I use vegan rice cheese)---the oven is still hot, don't turn it on, let them sit in there for about 20 minutes

Dump burritos onto plates, cover with salsa and lettuce and EAT oh boy!
It is really quite simple :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh what a morning! Bowie AND potato burrito recipe. Muchisimas gracias! :-)

Gordo said...

Nothing weird about that at all! It's just a big pirogie!

Jerry said...

This bunny is happy because he was hoping (hopping?) that this recipe would make an appearance sometime soon. Thanks!

Jay said...

That sounds pretty yummy. It's amazing how much stuff you can wrap with a tortilla and make it even better!

Stacey B said...

Oh man, I am making these this weekend for sure! The hubby loooooooves potatoes!

Anonymous said...

I never thought it sounded bad, and this recipe makes it sound even better!
I'm already thinking of variations...