Monday, August 31, 2009

first day of skooooool......




















(pottery by Gary Rith and Norah.....)
OK, so you're thinking "Gary has NOT been around today, what gives???"
and its sorta like
"well, the Cornell studios opened for the fall today, so I was over there gossiping FACE TO FACE instead of here gossiping with YOU in cyberspace". Plus making pots of course. My first class with students is a week from Thursday, but you know, I've missed my pals, and so I was over there making stuff and older Tom was there and Andy too and we were shooting the breeze, and NORAH showed up (pictured!) and she is like
"yeah! I can blog this too!" or some such nonsense....
Basically, when you teach and work at the Cornell Universty Ceramics Studio, or Pot Shop, it really IS all fun and games....
AND here is a funny story--
this republican country club type comes in with his golf sweater on (I swear I am not making this up) and he sez his kid is a high school senior and wants to come to Cornell ONLY if there is pottey and I explain SURE there is, but no CREDIT. And DAD is like "huh!". And I explain people come in to have fun, and a lot of smart people come in, engineers, doctors, veterinarians, mathematicians and muscians, making pots, and he is like:
"MY SON IS OFF THE CHARTS in math and science and he will be studying THAT but he has WON AWARDS for his ceramics, do you think that will help him get in???" as if I f##king can tell him.....but I am thinking "man, are you RUDE off the charts, and frankly, MY BUNNIES are OFF THE DAMN CHARTS, MY MAN" but I politely wish him a happy day......

14 comments:

Reverend Awesome said...

Yeah. That's some off the charts douchebaggery.

You should have told him to go around and ask the other students if they were on or off the charts for math or science. You know all those idiots that get into Cornell...they'll be impressed that their isn't a chart that could contain this boy.

soubriquet said...

No credits, huh?

Actually that sounds like an enlightened concept, all your students are there because they want to be there, not because they need to tick boxes on a heap of credits and thus batter down the walls of the citadel.

Mr Nasty's son might just turn out to be capable of being a better person than his dad, once he gets out from under the thumb.

I enjoyed teaching, when my students wanted to learn, but I hated it when they were just zombie clockwatchers, fidgeting and not wanting to be there.
I believe all schools should allow teachers to say "If you don't want to be here, then leave."
Cornell potshop sounds a cool place.

Me? I was always off the charts, still am. Probably not in the way he means though.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

sEE, THAT IS THE WONDERFUL PArT: THE ONLY PEOPLE IN THAT STUDIO ARE THERE BECAUSE THEY WANT TO BE, AND TIS A MAGICAL PLACE :)

Norah said...

thanks for the shout out Gary :) So glad to finally see you in person... now if we can just get to the chapterhouse... or maybe we should just bring beers to the studio?

p.s. your bunnies are OFF the CHARTS (and those dragons too) :)

Unknown said...

I typed out a really good retort to annoying-dad-type... then I realized I sounded like a maniac that needed some meds... so I deleted it and wrote this instead.

Your so polite, G. I may have thrown something, like clay, at the guy. Maybe bisqueware, I can't be entirely sure... :)

Unknown said...

What a jerk! Gary you are right, pottery studio's are indeed a magical place and thankfully most are filled with great people who want to be there.

Your bunnies are way off the charts along with your piggies, elephants, pots, etc etc etc ...................

Busy Bee Suz said...

Too funny. OFF the charts even!

cindy shake said...

...were you wearing your leather jacket? If, so I bet mr. country-club-without-a-clue just wanted to hang with all you guys, tryin' to touch just a bit a cool :o)

Unknown said...

I think he might have been a democrat.... Just saying. Maybe : ).

Chelle said...

The bunny is redonk cute. Love him!

First day of school already? Americans are so weird. We don't start school here until the first weekday after Labour Day. Much more civilized. ;)

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Kids in NY state start after Labor day, but colleges started, and school districts elsewhere have been going for a week or 2. But pottery classes start after Labor day, just, the studio opening is meaningful....

Unknown said...

You get all types, don't you?! I especially love those who believe they're entitled.

Anonymous said...

wish i could get a peek at these charts everyone's always referring to. i'm not off the charts although i like to be off the grid.

~ Sil in Corea said...

Pompous blowhards ought to be working for hot-air balloon outfits, not hanging around with cool potters. I'll bet his son works through his frustrations with his "Pater" by wedging clay.