Saturday, November 1, 2008

4 am!!!




(pots by Gary Rith and the man himself)
SO I was dreaming it was math class and there was a quadratic equation to solve (a bunch of gobblydegook on the board) and I wanted to leave because I had to go to the bathroom so I tried speaking Spanish to the teacher (NO HABLO INGLES!) and my goodytwoshoes pal Stefan called out the answer, which made perfect sense, you just have to subtract y-1 from each stinking side and I awoke and I really did have to go to the bathroom and it was 4 am and the beagle was sleeping next to me and pushing her little paws into my bladder. So here I am. (do I have to tell you Stefan became an engineer? he was a good guy but our paths kinda drifted WAAAY apart...)
The little hamster passed through my dreams, btw, kinda just swishing on by...
So, as I said, I was at Cornell yesterday fooling around the pot shop there, and having a most good time make spirally things with dogs and elephants....
And Halloween? I nobly told my wife that she could walk the dog after dinner, I'd stay home for tricksters. I was shocked! We actually got one! Apparently she had run into some neighbors getting in their car, and told them to come see me, and I LITERALLY GAVE THE LITTLE KID HALF THE BAG of chocolate.
I have mixed feelings about kids being driven off to rich neighborhoods for trick or treating. Our little village has 15-20 houses then on the outskirts it is countryside and widely spaced houses. Main St upon which we live is a VERY busy road with no sidewalk. Absolutely awful for little kids to walk in the dark. So, it isn't too safe, really, for kids to trick or treat here. The village has a wonderful Easter Egg hunt, I wish we would have a big Halloween party too, so the kids could do something here, because I think that driving off to a different neighborhood is kinda bogus, you know? But how do you tell that to a little kid who wants to go door to door?

11 comments:

doug Fitch said...

Ha, I'd never heard of taking kids to a rich neighbourhood - how enterprizing - the rich can afford it! Here, all the kids in the village come out, it's becoming quite a village event - and I've been eating all their sweets, ha ha! - must seek out some rich folk next year, better quality chocolate, bigger sweeties!

Hope you get some sleep, it's all that strutting you've been doing, sending too much blood to the brain.

Nancy L.K. Boyce said...

When I was young, I used to envy those kids that got driven around for Halloween- I always thought they must get LOADS of loot!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

ah, I don't wanna seem judgemental, as I say: do something nice for the kids, they just wanna trick or treat!

Gordo said...

We had about 40 kids here last night. It's been steadily declining since we moved in: the first one (7 years ago) was 82 goblins.

Crafter of Khnum said...

We live in a pretty rural suburb, with most everyone on one acre lots. The kids and I hiked around about 2 miles total to see about 20 houses last night. So, it was not a candy haul for the kids, but it is one night that we get to visit some of the people we don't know in our community.

My interpretation of your hamster in your dream is that it represents a repressed animal nature in yourself. You are the hamster. There is the metaphor of the hamster's wheel, and your potting wheel. Which then leads to the hamster reading... Are you reading as much as you would like?

Anonymous said...

Well, if I can EVERy FIND a house there!!! I would start a community group, and we would have one very year!!!

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Gary, you gave the child half the bag of chocolate? Holy Gaspville! In my book (if we did the T&T thing) I'd luv ya for your generosity? But, would not return.

What's the Mama gonna do now? Oh, wait. A Gal can bake with chocolate. And, chocolate will save nicely given the appropriate temps and all.

Can I T&T by mail next year?

:-)

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Oh, diddly! Almost forgot! I vlogged three or four times today? But they never worked out or Macxine took up artistic resonance? But, I had vlogged the hamster thing. The Big Book of Dreams that I have.

[I have three books but two are a toss up that often disagree but they are good for a quick curiosity.] The "Dream Book" is a hard back multi-hundred paged Dream Bible.

I'll put what I found on my blog and you can pop in there. About the furry guy!

Happy - November!

Hilary said...

Great idea. Gary, it's so nice of you to volunteer to organize a Halloween party for your neighbourhood kidlets!

Anonymous said...

We formerly lived in a neighborhood where other folks drove in to let out carloads of trick-or-treaters. Trust me, it wasn't because we were rich! I think it was the layout of the neighborhood: one big loop with a couple of small cul-de-sacs jutting off the loop. The lots in our current "neighborhood" start at 1 acre and go up to 4 acres. Like you, we have no sidewalks; there are no street lights and therefore NO trick-or-treaters (I bought one bag of candy, just in case it was different this year. Candy is still in unopened bag).
So this year, we took our kids to a friend's subdivision where there are tons of kids and lots of households participating. It was great fun for the boys, and then we stopped in at my friend's house for cups of tea (and shots of tequila, but that is another story!)

The idea of rich neighborhoods being "better" is a myth. In my experience, the best yard sale finds are usually in middle class neighborhoods, and the best trick-or-treating is found where there are plenty of kids and participating households.

Di Mackey said...

I can't even finish this post, feeling dream deprived. I don't know what a 'quadratic equation' is either. My dreams are more simplistic, I'm getting a complex now.

I mean, they're terrifying detailed and odd and make Gert laugh when I wake up grouchy from them but 'quadratic equations' and hamsters are so specific that I find myself envious.