Friday, October 31, 2008

le canard pitcher



(pitcher by Gary Rith--yes, it does pour through the beak!)

SO! Halloween. We have had one or two kids in the last two years. The little monsters better behave and leave my Obama signs intact. Maybe I should move them for the night. My wife usually puts on her leather miniskirt and fishnet stockings and acts the saucy tart that she is at heart, but this year I think she is going goth rather than saucy. Skulls, skeletons, something like that. I will be hiding somewhere, too scared to emerge from my lair.

In other news, I have heard back, oh yes I have, from the two sisters I wrote about below in Romy and Micelle, and they have made comments. Is it embarrassing when people you actually know read your blog? Let's spill a bean or two and admit that if you see cutting remarks and jokes at my expense from either an Elizabeth or a Wendy, that would be the 2 sisters. As I said below, I was friends with Elizabeth from about the age of 12 to around 22 when we lost track of each other, and Elizabeth, of course, was a knockout with a genius IQ with a super cute little sister a year younger, Wendy, and here we all are in our 40s. My wife, as these two girls would have agreed, is lucky she didn't meet me until I was 26, because as Beck said about teenage boys "I'm a loser baby...". Teenage boys are a life form lower than pond scum. We have a lot of growing up to do, and you just hope nobody remembers what you were like at 15. Wendy and Elizabeth remember what I was like at 15.

In far more important news, I had a call from the kiln parts people that my kiln parts are, of course, delayed. It will be nearly a month soon since my kiln worked, and just about all of its innards have been repaired by me (SIGH!!!!!!!!!!) SO, I go to Cornell's studios and work these days (lunch with my wife the saucy tart today!), and below and above are some recent pieces. The ducky pitcher looks most superb, and my pal in California Cheri with the duck loving daughter should take a close look....

24 comments:

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

ADORABLE!!!! Perfectly glazed too!!!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

kvack!

Just Me said...

Cute! Have a good day.

Mother of Invention said...

Very cool! Is this a creamer or is it bigger? Could you please e-mail me some info about price etc.? I have brother-in-law whose nickname is Duck and I've always given him everything that's ducky!

(WOW! This is spooky! Word verif was urcurst!!! OOOO!)

Gary's third pottery blog said...

oh MOI!!!! I have made 3, this is the first, and I promised Cheri she could have first look, but I have more to glaze!!!

Mother of Invention said...

Okay, so earmark one for me!

tt said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!
Sorry about the kiln...that bites!
think the missus will let you take a pic of her being all saucy tartish??? ;)
You a looser? nawwwww..couldn't be.

Tink said...

AH! That duck pitcher is AWESOME! Do you have any for sale? It's definitely on my top 5 list of favorite items made by you.

Anonymous said...

Cute!

Anonymous said...

Love the duck and the mugs, but I have to disagree...you were very nice as a teenage boy... kind of reminded me of Kevin from the Wonder Years.

Your family is lovely! Did Maude ever have a Farrah hairstyle?

Hilary said...

That duck pitcher is very cute. It seems you have a lot of interested buyers.. better get quacking and make more. :)

Gary's third pottery blog said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEK! There she is, my old pal Wendy. (buries head in embarrassment) High praise though and unexpected, Kevin from the wonder years? I'll take it. Ahem, after 15 though, I went into my Jeff Spiccoli Fast Times at Ridgemont High phase. For about ten years.
Thanks all! I am gonna make more!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Farrah hairstyle? I bet she had some version of it!

Miss Heather said...

Ha ha ha! She compared you to Kevin from The Wonder Years... HA HA HA!!! And the duck is AMAZING. Just gorgeous!! I need to email you my Christmas order. :)

Anonymous said...

sweet wonderful wendy please share some salacious tales of the angst-ridden teenager that potterman was back then. thanks!!!

Gordo said...

That pitcher is amazing, Gary. A hall of famer, I think.

Aleta said...

It pours from the beak? If that isn't THE cutest thing I've seen... that is just so darn cute!!! I'm laughing, it's precious!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

le cute! thanks!
Denis, YOU are the one who knows where the bodies are buried in my life....

Reb said...

That duck is adorable!

Unknown said...

I think Gordo said it best! Indeed and fer sure, a Hall of Famer! My every instinct went nuts when I first saw it. It is GREAT, Gary! Care to gimme a quote on one? I think it has all the earmarks of a 'must have'!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you'd better make a lakeful of duck pitchers! I'm not surprised, because it looks INCREDIBLE!

Umm...WHAT did you just call 3 of my children? (Trust me, there are days....but still...Gary!!)

I've given out my blog address to more people than I can remember. I've been known to regret it when I hear things like, "I've been keeping up with you by reading your blog once a week." Luckily, I've tried very hard to live by this code: I won't put anything in there that I don't want my MIL to read. (I'm pretty sure she doesn't know about it.)

Elizabeth said...

Who knew that potters had groupies? LOL! Seriously, tho, the pottery is fabulous...

Barbara Martin said...

Love the duck pitchers!!

Gary, you can't go back to when you were a teenager. We all grow up and change into something quite different: at least I did.

Bad kids at Halloween? My friends and I used to cut across lawns between houses, and one year I was behind the others instead of infront...lucky me. One crafty homeowner put up a trip wire between two evergreens. Skinned knees and one twisted ankle. After that I never cut across lawns or through yards. Though I can see today there would be lawsuit looming on the homeowner for dangerous entrapment or some such thing.

Anonymous said...

I think Liz would have more tales to tell than me. Plus she's a much better story teller. For some reason my memories are just of walks, talks and a cute pup! I probably was the tag along little sis that really annoyed Liz at the time. I definitely don't remember the Spiccoli years.