Thursday, July 23, 2009

the WORST dream


I have a lot of vivid and fun dreams, and you hear about some of them. Oooph, last night everything collapsed, a la The Road Warrior or like Cormac McCarthy's The Road or any number of nightmare-society-has-collapsed stories.
In this case, it was only day 2. People everywhere were dead and militias made up of rednecks and aggressive types with weapons were looking for suvivors. On my way out of town I passed a child who needed help and I did not help, I passed a woman who needed help and I didn't stop, I was just too scared.
I was holed up in a house gathering some supplies and met up with a like minded friend to run with but when I went out to check the car I was alone and trying to play possum when a car full of .... yes, that was when I awoke, and my heart beating so fast that I can see how somebody could die in their sleep--of terror.

But I didn't, and I am fine of course, and some people think that a scenario like this is likely. Maybe not very possible at all, because all of us are invested in our work, family, and homes, but society and civility is tissue thin, isn't it?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard a saying that goes something like "Society/civilization is but 3 meals away from anarchy". Scary when you stop to think about it.

Lou said...

Yup, I have those dreams too. Hugs for you, x

cookingwithgas said...

Not sweet - I have very vivid dreams as well - I know that feeling of panic!
Then I have to think, " where did that come from?"
Too much spicy food??

Gary's third pottery blog said...

YES, there were some spicy bean burritos for dinner....

g-man said...

That's why I am buying guns. Hell just take away the air conditioning for a couple days and watch society swirl down the crapper.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Great. Gman is EXACTLY the sort of dude who will be chasing me down the street on day 2 of the apocalypse....

Anonymous said...

tissue thin indeed... that cormac mccarthy book was a scary book

Stacey B said...

I have very vivid dreams and when they are bad/disturbing ones I end up spending hours the next morning trying to get out of the funk!