Thursday, July 30, 2009

GUN NUTS *

*Nun guts!
OKAY, I work in the back half of the house, and I never like to talk to people on the phone, (I am rather reclusive and anti-social most of the time) but I have a crusty old phone back there and it rang around the Missus' lunch time and I answered with a big "HUllo sweetie!"
but it was not her. It was instead the neighbors over there. I could see their house across the river as we talked.
I was like, to myself, "SHOOT".
So, turns out they have no water this summer. Their house has been for sale for 4 years, and they want a boatload of money for it, although it is, in some ways, a little, you know....um, well, old-ish...
anyway, they have been hauling water from the river this summer. Dry-ish well, do we have that problem.
"UM, NO."
We live in a wet place with a river in back, who would have a dry well, I wonder?

AND, who would be so dumb as to not fix it? You can't sell a house for up to a half million bucks with no water, DUH! So you'd have to fix it to sell it, why not have water at the same time?

OK, but then we get to the nub of the issue. And we are very friendly with these folks, as we are with everybody, really. We walk by all the time with our dogs, and they have dogs, and dog people get to know each other. (although our dogs have never met each other--theirs are fighters) (and our Penny, 22 pounder, thinks she is a fighter)
SO, they need a dog sitter today for their 5 dogs, and I have done it before, and I am like SURE sure sure....
and I can hear them barking at me NOW from across the river and I shall have to go over there....

OK, but the funny part about these folks, friendly as they are, is that although I have heard about people with a bunch of guns and knives, they are the first people's house I have been in. That is full of guns and knives.

They claim their 5 dogs are killers, and I was forking scared the first time I went over there. One of the dogs killed their neighbor's chickens (there is a sweet young couple next to them) last spring. People in the neighborhood, um, may not really like these folks much.
So like I say, walking into this house, alone, to dogsit???? I fill my hands with treats. The dogs know me a little bit, but it scares me. I mean, wouldn't it scare you? The owners tell you the dogs are hunter-killers, and they killed the chickens next door?????

Nice pots down there, wouldn't you agree?????



(pottery by Gary Rith)

15 comments:

denis said...

sounds like interesting neighbors. as for the dogs i'm not worried about you you'll turn these chicken killers into teddy bears and they will be putty in your hands.

Lou said...

Yup, the doggies will know they are in the presence of someone who gets them...they always know. However, yes, I wouldn't be bounding over to a house full of violent things. Fair play to you for being kind enough to want to help anyway, that's a wonderful quality to have and the karmic return will be handsome :) :)

Gary's third pottery blog said...

They are all barking at me across the river again, can you believe it? Tis tuetruetrue.... guess they don't like being alone.

Busy Bee Suz said...

They killed chickens? I don't know..perhaps these people were just looking for dinner and had the dogs do it for them.
Love the bunnies!!

brodie said...

never met a violent gun. met plenty of violent people. I'm pretty sure the guns won't hurt you while you're taking care of their pets. have fun.

Stacey B said...

Wow a house full of guns and knives and dogs that are killers. Sounds like a great nature vs. nurture argument!

cindy shake said...

be careful, remember you need your hands for artmaking. are you sure you're not being set-up for some sick you-tube video!! what kind of dogs are they? they don't sound like your sweet Penny. maybe post some pictures!
you are a good neighbor...

Unknown said...

So what ELSE do you know about those people? Sounds very scary to me, and, much as I'd want to, I truly don't think I could venture in with dogs who might/could do me serious bodily injury. And, btw, could be discuss those truly bodacious bowls? Beautiful and sweet.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Those dogs have been howling out their window today, straight across the river toward our house. Penny howls back. They return it. Penny howls again, LOUDER....
gonna finish this coffee and go over there.....

j said...

Not to belabor the obvious, but you use your name for your blog. Unless your neighbors are utterly clueless, they're going to read this or be told about it. Just saying.
Your pots look great, more turtles!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

J, frankly, my wife hasn't seen this yet. When she does I bet she makes me erase it....
on the other hand, I thought about this----YES I am poking fun, YES it is snarky, but it is also the truth. Factual. Soooo......
and if they got mad, what does that mean, I don't get asked to dogsit anymore, and who is J anyhow????????

~ Sil in Corea said...

Apparently they are utterly clueless or completely unable to float a bank loan for a well...or both! Is anyone over there employed or are they selling 'wacky tobacky' to finance their unusual lifestyle?

Lynda said...

I need a bunny... sorry, I can't think of anything else except how cute they are.

Susan as Herself said...

Sounds like many folks around the parts near where I grew up... I say fill your hands and your pockets with treats, and maybe slip a baseball bat into your pant waist. Just for security. :)

Reverend Awesome said...

Oh my. Stay safe, little potter.