Monday, October 5, 2009

The Owl and the Pussycat...


(owl and pussycat pottery by Gary Rith)
My wife's favorite poem is The Owl and the Pussycat by Edward Lear. Tis tres romantic! She has always wanted me to get them onto pottery, and now I have.....

THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT

I
The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea
In a beautiful pea green boat,
They took some honey, and plenty of money,
Wrapped up in a five pound note.
The Owl looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar,
'O lovely Pussy! O Pussy my love,
What a beautiful Pussy you are,
You are,
You are!
What a beautiful Pussy you are!'



II
Pussy said to the Owl, 'You elegant fowl!
How charmingly sweet you sing!
O let us be married! too long we have tarried:
But what shall we do for a ring?'
They sailed away, for a year and a day,
To the land where the Bong-tree grows
And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood
With a ring at the end of his nose,
His nose,
His nose,
With a ring at the end of his nose.

III
'Dear pig, are you willing to sell for one shilling
Your ring?' Said the Piggy, 'I will.'
So they took it away, and were married next day
By the Turkey who lives on the hill.
They dined on mince, and slices of quince,
Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced by the light of the moon,
The moon,
The moon,
They danced by the light of the moon.


and here are some more pots....


(pottery by Gary Rith)

17 comments:

Lis Garrett said...

I'm loving your new designs, Gary!

cookingwithgas said...

Prefect!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I already liked Maude, but she just gave me reason to like her even more. :)

I ♥ The Owl and the Pussycat!

And I'm liking these new editions, too. :)

Gary's third pottery blog said...

thanks very much KC, she is the best :)

Emily SIL said...

It's such a good poem. I remember seeing a New Yorker cartoon a few years back. Two owls were sitting on a branch and one of them says to the other, "We'd live a lot better if you didn't have to pay alimony to that d-mn pussycat!"

Reverend Awesome said...

Oh my goodness. SOOO adorable! Owls are just the cutest little things. They always look like they're up to something.

Gallow said...

Great mugs and bowls to go with a great poem. That's the first time I had read the poem. Thank you for sharing.

Lynda said...

I love this new venture - they are wonderful!

Unknown said...

Love them!

Gordo said...

I love that poem. There used to be a Runcible Spoon Cafe here. :-)

I absolutely love the sketch pottery, too. Wonderful!

soubriquet said...

I'm going to a place where there's a quince tree, tomorrow. Last year I harvested a load. They smell just gorgeous, I was going to make quince jelly, but um... never got around to it.
Last time I was there I can't recall seeing many, hope there are at least a few.
Then I'll need a runcible spoon.
I notice you've been quoting a lot of my chilhood favourites recently, Mr Toad (Poot-poot!) and Did a see something from winnie the pooh?
Didja know the real Winnie the Pooh was a bear in the London Zoological Gardens at Regent's Park, called after the city who sent it there, "Winnipeg"?
Were you dancing by the light of the moon?
Can we have a teaset with the Turkey who lives on the hill, and the piggy-wig from the wood, as well as the starring characters. And a Bong tree.
And a spoon. Runcible.

denis said...

gary, these are stunning! i predict they will be a big seller.

Susan as Herself said...

Oooh---I loved that poem as a kid!

Unknown said...

I think you've just hit an out-of-the-park homer, Gary. Expect a separate e-mail shortly! Love, love your new sketch book pottery. Wonderful!

Stacey B said...

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the owl!!!!

Miss Heather said...

I'm so impressed with your painting skills! LOVE the new designs! Seriously!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Emily SIL made me LOL!!