Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Wonder Years




(Kevin and Winnie from the TV show THE WONDER YEARS, me and Wendy now...)
The neighborhood I lived in from elementary to high school was full of houses and full of kids. Two of my very best pals back then lived in my neighborhood and we had a lot of classes together, going back to when we were 11 or 12 or 13. My oldest friends! Two sisters, Mary Beth was my age, Wendy a year younger. I lost track of Wendy after high school but Mary Beth and I exchanged letters through college up to about 1987 when we lost track of each other.
The two sisters (and the youngest Rebecca, who was much younger and I suppose I ignored) were absolutely brilliant and creative, smart and fun. We talked about all kinds of stuff and walked around and complained about school and other kids or whatever...
a lot like Winnie and Kevin in the TV show (except, of course, in a way, it was Kevin and Winnie and Winnie because there were 2 sisters)
and then 20-30 years go by, and thanks to facebook last year we all reconnected. Have not seen Mary Beth lately, but have seen Wendy a few times and she lives about an hour away and came on down for the lunch and the pottery and to rub Penny's belly and gossip about other kids we went to school with, and you know, YOU TOO....

4 comments:

Jay said...

Best thing about reconnecting with people from back in the day is gossipin' about other people you went to school with. ;-)

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is so nice. I am happy you found your Winnie(s)....I loved the Wonder Years too.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Too fun--I think you've both aged better than Kevin and Winnie!

Gordo said...

Did she give you a swat for taking that first picture? ;-)