Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Stevie has this advice:


(pots by Gary Rith)
I am going to a RAKU party in a couple of weeks and wanted to make some totally textured pieces. RAKU is a very direct ceramics firing process: using tough clay, you quickly raise the firing temps to melting, then reach in with metal tongs and grab the hot piece and then smoke it with sawdust etc, then dip it into water like a hot horseshoe. Havn't done raku since 1986, probably try to get a bunch of my buddies together for the party.....

ANYWAY, Stevie writes yesterday, re: Blogging for Dummies chapter 9--
Want people to read your blog? Visit other blogs and sprinkle comments around. You would think it would be obvious, but nothing gets attention faster than leaving comments. I seem to follow 100 blogs, and it has become a somewhat slow process, following them all, but I enjoy trying :)
And speaking of Stevie, comment forms.
Blogging for dummies, chapter 10: Stevie has the absolute WORST comment form. People should really SIMPLIFY commenting. Steve is my absolute best pal, but I hate Stevie's comment form, it takes forever....


Love my way :)

6 comments:

Hilary said...

Those are my least favourite comment forms too.. especially with the added verification word at the end. That particular kind of comment form tosses it at you after you've hit Publish, and I'm certain I've lost comments in the past because I'd close the window before it came up.

Anyway, now that I've helped you rant about it, I'll say that I'm glad you pointed him out. He has some fine photography over there.

The RAKU process sounds complicated. Looking forward to seeing the results. Those textured pieces look tres cool. :)

denis said...

i've always liked raku because of the vivid colors that results from it.

gary, i hope you will put all your blogging expertise into a book. seriously!

Anonymous said...

amigo... maybe steve's form is a pain but those new raku forms are cool. haven't done raku in a long time but i remember that it was great fun. it's fun even if your pieces break and you have to throw them away. nothing like reaching into a red hot kiln and snatching out a red hot pot.

Gallow said...

Ok Gary, I have changed the blogger requirements. Thank you for letting me know.

RAKU sounds tricky, and fun. I hope it works well for you.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

poor Stevo, getting his arm twisted in public, sorry Steve!

Reverend Awesome said...

It sounds like my comment form used to be a pain as well. People have to really want to leave a comment! Well not anymore...I don't think. I had no idea I even had word verification turned on.

So Gallow, is that Steve? I'll go attempt to comment with ease.