Friday, September 26, 2008

hard head

My pal Thoughtful reflections wrote about a guy on a bike hit by a car and a train one day....got me thinking:

I was hit by a car when I was 14 and biking lawfully up the street---a car pulled across traffic, into my lane, and I smashed into the side and flew up onto the car hood and smashed the windshield with my head and passed out briefly and came to lying on the car--and it was all in FRONT of two police officers. I had a concussion etc, but was otherwise OK, but can you believe the woman who hit me sued me for the broken windshield and dented bodywork???? We countersued and won but never would have sued if she hadn't given us the idea.....now there's stupidity!

(the law is on the side of a pedestrian when hit by a car 99% of the time----esp. when witnessed by 2 cops!!!)

13 comments:

Tink said...

There are just too many crappy drivers on the road. It's not safe! I can't believe that woman sued you. UGH. That's just disgusting.

Janet said...

wow...she must be one of the devil minions!

Fortune Cookies said...

OMG!!! The nerve! I'm glad you came out relatively O.K.

Anonymous said...

Not too long ago, Ian and I were having coffee at the Starbucks downtown when we witnessed a cop open his car door just as a biker was passing. She was knocked off her bike so hard even her shoes flew off! It was disturbing to witness, and she was really shaken up about it. And to think it was a cop . . .

Jessica said...

That's crazy--what an evil women!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

she cut ME off, drive into ME and sued ME, a KID?

Di Mackey said...

Wow, we had ACC in New Zealand - stands for Accident Compensation Corporation and means we're not allowed to sue in case of an accident.

The woman who hit you ... you think she banged her head really bad too? She reads kind of insane.

Knight said...

Sounds like that woman was an idiot. Maybe she was looking for a little cash. Hit a biker, sue, make a profit. Not a bright plan.

tt said...

stupid...stupid...stupid....
I really believe some ppl take their brains out and play with them....
Geesh...go buy some toys...:)

Glad you survived!! I mean...our world would be a wee bit dimmer w/o your light.
:)

Reb said...

Now that is taking it a little far! Trying to sue someone that you hit?! Glad that you survived to tell us about it and to make lovely pottery to brighten our days.

Susan as Herself said...

Now where is that woman so i can slap some sense into her???!!!

Oh, wait, she probably works for the government now.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you lived on to make pottery and the world a better place. Were you wearing a helmet? I have a friend this happened to (except for the suing part, that's NUTS) and she is alive because of her helmet. But I think she actually flipped completely over the car when it turned left in front of her.

I don't bike without my helmet, and I won't let my kids go without, either.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I have a helmet now, but didn't then! Nobody did!